WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Congresswoman Mikie Sherrill (NJ-11) cosponsored two pieces of bipartisan legislation reaffirming the United States’s support for Israel following devastating terrorist attacks by Hamas. As a member of the House Armed Services Committee, Sherrill has long advocated for and secured U.S. resources to help ensure Israel’s safety and security, such as the replenishment of the Iron Dome.
“Now is time to show the world that the House of Representatives stands with Israel in the face of these brutal terrorist attacks by Hamas. It is crucial that support for Israel be among the first orders of business after the House majority confirms a new Speaker,” said Rep. Sherrill.
Sherrill cosponsored a bipartisan resolution led by Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul and Ranking Member Gregory Meeks affirming that the United States stands with Israel as it defends itself against the barbaric war launched by Hamas and other terrorists and condemning Hamas’s horrific crimes against humanity.
Alongside Democratic and Republican military veterans in Congress, Sherrill helped introduce a resolution that condemns the acts of terrorism committed by Hamas against Israel and directs the Administration to provide support, stating that Congress:
- Declares its unwavering support for the State of Israel and stands ready to consider urgent requests for additional assistance Israel may require to defend its people and safeguard its sovereignty;
- Affirms that Israel, as a sovereign state, is entitled to act in self-defense against Hamas, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and associated forces, and their state sponsors;
- Finds the that cross-border attacks, murders, and kidnappings constitute acts of international terrorism and aggression;
- Calls on the President to provide intelligence, military, and diplomatic support to the Government of Israel in response to this terrorist attack; and
- Calls on all governments harboring Hamas personnel to immediately expel those individuals from their territory.